Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My NSX blog!


I am dedicating this blog to my NSX, a project car nearing its completion. I should have started this years ago but have been too busy. However, I will endeavour to bring the project back to its infancy in order to document all that has been done. It will be a challenge but heck, thats what blogs are for!

Background.
I have loved the NSX since I was a kid, and by kid I mean when it was presented as a concept car at the Chicago Auto show and later previewed in all the car mags when I was 20 (1989). One of my childhood friends, Victor Wong had worked at an Acura dealership one summer and brought back a gift for me: a poster of the upcoming NSX. It hung on my wall all throughout my college years and dental school. You could almost say it served as inspiration for me to do well in school! Oddly enough that poster was almost accidentally thrown out by a friend when I was moving out of my apartment upon graduation but luckily it was saved. I finally had it properly framed recently and it hangs now in my home office.

I have always been a Honda fan. Growing up I owned a Civic, a red 2nd gen CRX, and a 2nd gen Prelude. I was also a huge F1 fan since the days when Mansell and Piquet drove Honda turbo-powered Williams cars and later when Honda moved on to McLaren during the Senna/Prost years. To this day I still think that era produced some of the most beautiful F1 cars.

Aryton Senna was a driver for McLaren and consulted in the development of the NSX, namely in the suspension and chassis. When the car was released it was the world's first all-aluminum production car. It beat its rivals easily in performance (Ferrari 348, Porsche 911, Corvette and Skyline GTR) as well as set a new benchmark in reliability, ergonomics and quality control. In short, they built an exotic car with Japanese qualities. Each car was hand-built in a special factory in Tochigi by hand-picked Honda employees as a reward for years of dedication to the company. Soichiro Honda signed off on the project himself and intended it as a means to show the world what Honda and Japan can produce in answer the european-dominated world of exotic cars.

I had to have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment