Friday, March 6, 2015

The BLCBIRD rises again...

So what's been happening since my last entry in 2012? I've owned the Rio Yellow S2000 CR, followed by a 2000 AP1 in the very nice Grand Prix White with red interior (I only owned it for a year and a half but placed KWV3 coilovers, a nice HKS exhaust, K&N intake and a set of Spoon brakes before I suddenly felt the desire for something greater.  The S2000 is an incredible car, and really feels like the baby brother of the NSX (designed by the same team and built in the same Tochigi factory).  On the track last summer it was so much fun.  However, it never quite hit the spot.  Over the winter while it was under cover my eyes started wandering again.

My first choice was actually an old air cooled 911 turbo.  I've always loved the 930 but prices were going through the roof in the last year.  Cars I saw for $35K last summer were selling for $90K and up. Insanity.  I also looked into another one of my to-do list cars: Datsun S30s.  A couple came up but I couldn't pull the trigger.  I'm too nervous when it comes to really old cars and risk of being stranded or just downtime.  I looked at R34 GTRs.  They are beautiful, iconic and I thought it would be fitting to own one to complete the series for me but prices were still hovering in the high $40-50K range.  When I realized they were pulling those numbers my mind automatically turned to the NSX. Where else can you find a truly special, hand built, all-aluminum piece of automotive history in that price range?  I love the R34 but compared to an NSX, it's merely ordinary.

So, I started looking at another NSX.

People on the forums like to almost brag about the amount of time it takes to find the perfect one. Go on NSXPrime and you'll see people on year 3 of their NSX search.  Some owners like to tell you how it took years to find THE ONE.  Well, I looked and one popped up almost immediately.  I've always lusted for Dave's old Spa Yellow 2002 (in fact it was his sale ad back in 2011 that made me put my old NSX up for sale since I wanted his so badly).  I contacted Shawn, its new owner and made him an offer. He was intrigued but turned me down. However, he mentioned that another guy with a Berlina Black 2004 had just put a deposit down for a new 2016 NSX and might be selling.  I contacted the owner, we talked and after a few exchanges I sent him a deposit.  NSX prices, like air-cooled Porsche 911s are also climbing.  I think it's due to the attention of the v2, but also because I think after all these years the car is finally getting the respect it so sadly missed during its production run.  Google DriveTV's episode "You Need to Buy an Acura NSX NOW" to see why.

The price we agreed on was very fair, but a sudden sale of a red 2003 in Toronto by a McLaren dealership for $75K (the previous sale price of the same car was $48K) put me in a panic over my car suddenly appreciating in asking price).  Luckily, he was true to his words and we completed the legal aspects of the deal yesterday. Today I'm the proud owner of this beauty:
2004, Berlina Black with black leather interior. SOS Supercharged, KWV3, full Brembo GT BBK with parking brake, Downforce Type R hood and wing, DF intake snorkel, DF Kevlar buckets, ARC airbox and Ti exhaust, assorted Type R bits and CE 28N wrapped in Dunlop Starspecs. Oh yeah, she's cornerbalanced :)

It will be a long month to 6 weeks before she is delivered from Bowser, BC.






No comments:

Post a Comment